Israel hampering delivery of aid into Gaza, says Egypt

Cairo says Rafah crossing is not officially closed but made inoperable due to Israeli air strikes on Gaza. 

ISMAILIA (EGYPT): Israel is not cooperating with delivery of aid into Gaza and evacuations of foreign passport holders via the only entry, leaving hundreds of tonnes of supplies stuck, Egypt said on Monday.

Meanwhile, the government of Pakistan today announced to send relief goods to the besieged people of Gaza with the help of the Egyptian government and the Red Crescent Society. The Foreign Office said Pakistan’s missions abroad were also being taken in the loop to ensure the dispatch of needed items to the Palestinians.

However, a minister in Cairo said Rafah crossing a vital opening for supplies into the Palestinian enclave was not officially closed but made inoperable due to Israeli air strikes on Gaza. 

The territory’s 2.3 million residents have been left without power, pushing health and water services with fuel for hospital generators running low.

“There is an urgent need to alleviate the suffering of Palestinian civilians in Gaza,” Egypt’s Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry told reporters, adding that talks with Israel had not been fruitful.

US officials expressed the hope that Rafah would operate for a few hours late on Monday, White House spokesman John Kirby said, adding that earlier hopes for opening the crossing had been dashed.

Hamas-affiliated radio station Aqsa said Israeli shelling hit the Rafah crossing area again on Monday. The Egyptian side of the border appeared deserted on Monday afternoon, with aid supplies being stockpiled in the nearby city of Al Arish.

Comments are closed.