NYPD Splits Bronx Into Two Patrol Boroughs Amid Crime Decline

0

Special Correspondent

NEW YORK: The New York Police Department has divided the Bronx into two patrol boroughs for the first time in history. The move aims to strengthen policing and improve emergency response across the borough.

Police Commissioner Jessica S. Tisch announced the restructuring on Tuesday. The plan creates Patrol Borough Bronx North and Patrol Borough Bronx South. Officials said the change will bring nearly 200 additional officers into Bronx communities.

The NYPD said both commands will receive dedicated specialized units. These include homicide squads, narcotics teams, auto crime units, and evidence collection teams. Officials believe the structure will improve oversight and speed up deployment.

City leaders linked the announcement to declining crime rates across the borough. Major crime dropped 15.5 percent in April and 11 percent this year, according to the NYPD.

Crime Reduction Drives Restructuring

Commissioner Tisch described the restructuring as a long-overdue investment in the Bronx. She said the borough handled growing public safety demands under a single command for years.

“The Bronx is already leading the city in crime reduction,” Tisch said. She added the new structure would strengthen precision policing strategies already producing results.

Mayor Zohran Kwame Mamdani also praised the decision. He said the city was experiencing historic declines in violence and crime.

Governor Kathy Hochul said targeted enforcement strategies were helping reduce crime citywide. Attorney General Letitia James supported the plan and called for community-focused policing.

Bronx Handles Highest Emergency Call Volume

The NYPD said the Bronx received nearly one million 911 calls last year. That figure marked the highest emergency call volume in New York City.

Officials said the new structure would help deploy officers more effectively. The Bronx now joins Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Queens with separate North and South patrol boroughs.

Assistant Chief Benjamin D. Gurley will lead Bronx North. Assistant Chief Brian C. Hennessy will oversee Bronx South.

Bronx North will cover Precincts 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, and 52. Bronx South will oversee Precincts 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, and 45.

Officials Cite Historic Crime Declines

The Bronx recorded four murders in April, the fewest for that month in recorded history. Shooting incidents also fell 58 percent during the month.

The NYPD reported a 65 percent decline in shooting victims in April. Officials also highlighted recent progress against auto theft rings operating in the borough.

Representative Ritchie Torres called the restructuring a major investment in public safety. Borough President Vanessa L. Gibson said the plan would improve neighborhood-level policing and strengthen community trust.

District Attorney Darcel D. Clark said additional officers and investigators would help prevent violence and improve crime-solving efforts.

Leave A Reply